Dearest Ingenium Community,
We know that we don’t have to explain to you why helping our students grow as readers is so important. When a child increases their love of reading, learns strategies to approach texts, and gets the support of quality educators — the world opens up to them in new and exciting ways. At Ingenium Charter School, we are dedicated to helping each and every student reach their reading goals.
But how do we get students to love reading? We believe Intrinsic Motivation is the key!
- Explain to your student why learning to read is so meaningful. What do they want to be when they grow up? What dreams do they have? How will reading help them achieve?
- Give your student control in what they read. What are their favorite books? Favorite subjects? Encourage them to make their own choices in reading.
- Make sure the books your student is reading is the right level of challenge. Not too hard, not too easy — just right! If a text is hard, it is a great opportunity to spend some time reading to your student.
- Allow your student to read cooperatively. They can read to you, or to a sibling, friend or relative.
- Finally, make sure you give support to your young readers. Help them sound out words, collaborate with their teachers, and let them know it is okay to make mistakes sometimes.
Our teachers implement Profound Learning Experiences designed to bring the magic of reading to life. Our school supports teachers in English Language instruction for both advanced students, and students new to the English Language. If you are passionate about reading, passionate about supporting our students, and believe that all English Language Learners can succeed — please join us! There are lots of ways to get involved and to make a difference. Tell our Main Office staff that you’re ready to help today.
Make sure to attend the Costume Parade scheduled for next Wednesday, October 31st at 11:30 am, and the Fall Festival on November 7th after school! Keep an eye out for Take Home Tuesday to learn more every week about what’s going on at Ingenium.
“Once you learn to read, you will be forever free.”